Πέμπτη 13 Ιανουαρίου 2022

Bring Me The Head Of Victor Tassotti

 


Back to the limo. Mr. Bling is always happy.

"Ready for your last quest?

"Ready. But.."

"It will be the last. I keep my promises."

"Who are you? Really, who are you, and what's your angle here?'

"I'm the king of the silent pictures. I'm hiding out till the talkies blow over."

He smiled like a neon beartrap.

"I really like you Vic. You are always on, looking for the angle in everything. I told you, I'm a magician, a sculptor of possibilities, I carve the impossible and reveal the possible. And you my friend, are my masterpiece."

"If you say so.. What's the last quest?"

"Vegas."

"What's in Vegas?"

"Money, what else?"

"And where do I fit in?"

"Win the tournament, and you are free."

"What tournament?"

"THE tournament, sport."

"That's it?"

"You think that'll be that easy?"

"What happens If I don't?"

"You will."

"What if?"

"You will. But if 1 in a billion you don't, we'll negotiate."

"I don't like the sound of this."

"So win."

Five perfect smoke rings and a grin.

"You want a cut?"

"I'll have one this time, but it won't be money."

"Then what?"

"You'll see."

He opened the window and threw the cigar.

"We are here. Have fun."

Final act. The Super Bowl of poker tournaments. Every predator is here. I always wanted to take a shot, but I was scared. Three nights passed, like a minute. It's brutal. I need everything I can get my hands on, to keep me going. Alcohol, pills, with a twist of coke.  I'm not stoned enough for this.

Tom is here. He's having a ball. He even flirted. That clipped his wings.

"What's the matter?"

"Don't start."

"You'll get the next one. If you hit her with a stone."

"Don't."

"Look at  those lips. But can she speak?"

"Can she suck out my kidney stones?"

"Not tonight."

"Great pep talk, coach."

"You look like a turbo virgin with zero confidence, what did you expect?"

"A handjob at least."

"Don't be a crybaby over a crumb of pussy."

"Said the man who's living the dream."

"I'm just lucky."

"You are always lucky."

"You better hope you still have that German Shepherd's phone number."

"It is the greatest inspiration to be underestimated."

"You are a depressed fuck drowning in self pity all day and your serotonin and dopamin receptors are fried beyond medium rare."

"The Nobel committee called, they want to know where to send your prize."

"Stop bitching like a soap opera queen and focus."

"Bless your young, optimistic heart. If you win, I want more than half."

"Not this time Tom."

"Why?"

"I'll explain you later."

"How later? You'll send me a postcard from your honeymoon?"

"If you are nice."

Tom didn't know about my new friend. I hope I'll be alive to explain him.

It's down on me and the bearded lady. He looks like a woman who looks like a man looking like a woman. He's good. We're bleeding each other, without being able to deliver the final blow. I'm tired, I'm bored. My palms are sweating, not a good sign. I can feel Tom's eyes poking me. I'm dizzy. I can't lose. I don't want to wait no more. Let's end this, all in. 

He smirks. But for one second, there's a crack on his mask. He hesitates. Cards on the table. I want to close my eyes. My heartbeat is going to bring down the walls. I've won. I don't remember much from that moment. I almost fainted. I'm back in my room. The phone rings. Mr. Bling wants to meet. I went to his room. He's shuffling cards.

"Are you ready for your last game?"

"Against who?"

"Me."

"What's the prize? All my winnings?"

"No money, just the pleasure of it."

I'm losing every hand. This is the first time it happens. 

"Do you rememer the fist time we met?"

"We haven't met before, I would remember."

"But we have. Do you remember your real name? You were a young writer, that couldn't get a break. Sick and tired of the day jobs. Clerk, waiter, barman. You decided that first, you must live something extraordinary, and then write about it. You chose the poker world. But that was a jungle you did't know the rules, you were easy pray. We met in a bar, you were sobbing in the bottom of a glass."

He keeps winning. I feel numb. 

"There ain't no devil, just God when he's drunk". 

He smiles. I'm getting nauseus.

"I liked you from the first moment. So we bargained. A life for life, a soul for a soul. "

He took off his glasses, his eyes are dancing flames.

"Victor Tassoti was one the best poker players ever. But time catches up everyone. He wanted an escape. You wanted talent. It was a fair deal."

I collapsed. His voice is everywhere.

"Eric Gates died happily in his sleep, at the age of 86. A beloved farmer. And Vic Tassotti still reigns as the king of the game. Every game."

"This.. Can't be true.."

"But it is.. And as the memories kick in, of a previous, sad and average life, we finally come to the fundamental question."

"You always wanted a happy end. You were always a romantic. But you can't have it all, sport. That girl is your destiny. But if you want her, you must give me all your money.  And there's one more twist. In Ancient Greek Mythology, the gods can't take back the talent of a mortal. And like Orfeus, you can never look back. You can't ever play again. Because if you do, your sweetheart will disappear."

I'm back on the table. I'm melting. He is right, I remember everything.

"So, what will it be mr. Gates? You can keep the name if you want, Vic Tassotti has a nice ring." 

Everything comes down to this.

"And if I want to continue to play?"

"She vanishes. Your last chance for happiness. Does it worth it? All the money in the world?"

"Take it all."

"I've already done it. Your bank accounts are empty."

"You knew from the start?"

"Everything. But it's so fun to see the plot unfolds."

"Can I go now?"

"You are free. If you don't play, you'll be happy."

He throws a card on the table.

"That's my real name. And my real profession."

Luis Cyphre, A&R.

"Why are you giving me this?"

"Because I love plot twists."

I'll never forget his smile. 





Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια:

Δημοσίευση σχολίου